Affiliate Note: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and purchase something, I might receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
It’s been a rainy day, so we were stuck indoors, which is not a totally bad thing because we get more family time together, but that also leaves open the possibility for more sibling arguments – can’t have that!
So, here are a few indoor activity ideas I’ve used over the years to help the day be fun and enriching for the family…
- Do an art project together – Art for Kids Hub gives you small step-by-small step instructions with a fun Dad and his kids – I’ve even joined in on the drawing with this cool show!
- Do a science project together. I keep a board on my Pink and Blue Mom Pinterest site with fun science projects I come across. Here’s the link to my Science Fun Pins.
- Chase each other around the house – great exercise! And, they squeal with that laughter we love!
- Download some fresh activity pages from Pinterest(this link routes you to a FREE printables repository I follow). Teachers pay Teachers is also a great resource for unique printables, some of which are free or very low cost. You can search for themed activities with your child’s favorite character, like a Batman or Minnie Mouse connect-the-dot page.
- Read books together – kids love to re-read old faves, so don’t worry if you haven’t gotten to the library recently.
- Do a made-up exercise routine with jumping jacks, crab crawls or any silly thing. Or, find one easily with a YouTube search for fun exercises for kids.
- Make an indoor pillow and blanket fort; snuggle and read inside.
- Have fun singing and dancing while doing chores around the house, and don’t forget the extra fun of logging completed tasks in the ChoreMonster app to get points for a fun reward. This is our current fave app for encouraging kids to do chores. UPDATE: It appears that the ChoreMonster app is no longer available.
- Have a dance party – pre-check songs with Common Sense Mediaif you need to
- Have a karaoke party
- Play a board game
- Bake or cook one of their favorite meals together.
- Snuggle in front of the TV with a show or movie (you’ve researched via Common Sense Media)
- Just play with the kids, no rules – whatever they want to do, even for five minutes. They just love to be with you and have your attention!
What do you do with the kiddos on rainy, can’t-go-outside days?
Enjoy your family!
Related Reading: 8 Daily Activities to Help Kids Thrive